5/29/2009

Our Paper Is Fly...

Well guys... today has been a really hard day. No, I didn't get struck by lightning, fall down the stairs, lose a pet, or break a nail... but I had to say goodbye to some of the best people I know. I HATE goodbyes. I haven't addressed journalism yet in my posts because this blog is about my future. However, it is only fair for me to talk about what was a giant part of my life for four years.
Each of the nine seniors were given the opportunity to write a brief story giving their goodbyes, what they'll miss, favorite memories, and what they have learned. Here is mine. 
Just so you know, Nan is the name of our adviser. Melissa HerNANdez. :)

   I am both looking forward to and dreading the day that I walk out of the newsroom forever. I mostly dread saying goodbye to the faces that have become way too familiar. I dread leaving the teacher that has inspired me not only to push myself and step out of the box in writing and design, but also in life.

   I am looking forward to leaving high school and starting a new chapter. Even though journalism is not my career choice, it will stay with me forever. The experiences that I have had in the newsroom are impossible to forget. The singing, the gossiping, the whining, the laughing, the complaining over slow computers, the complaining over the lack of computers, the happy-dancing, the playful fighting, the playful threats to drain my braking fluid, and the reprimanding from Nan will always be in my heart.

   This may sound crazy but most of my favorite memories in journalism happened during press week. Those stressful days that were spent arguing, laughing while slowly losing our minds, and struggling to get the paper out before deadline (which never happened by the way), were some of the best days out of the three years I spent in journalism.

   I have to say, senior year on staff was the hardest yet. Senior year is when the people you work side by side with become family. In a family you have fights, disagreements, misunderstandings, and miscommunications. Fortunately, you also have laughs, memories, inside jokes, and a tremendous amount of love and respect for one another. I must say that there is not one person on staff that I would not do anything for, and that is the honest truth.

   It doesn’t matter how long you have been on staff because once you join you become a part of this giant family. The new faces and voices I have become accustomed to this year have impacted me just as much as the ones I have heard for the past three years. I love you all.

    I have some advice for people who are just joining the staff and the staffers who are coming back next year.  Always remember that as much fun as you have in journalism, it is still a class. It will still affect your GPA and your acceptance to college. Also, this has been said many times throughout the years, but leave your egos at the door. You should be able to leave journalism with more friends than you started with. With that being said, do not make any enemies.

    Put your best effort into everything you do and try your best not to procrastinate. Journalism is based mostly on deadlines-meet them.

    Even though Nan can be blunt at times, she always has your best interest at heart and will never tell you something that you really do not need to hear. When it feels like you have had enough and that it just isn’t worth it anymore, look at the wall that is covered in awards, certificates, and plaques. Think about me and everyone else who has been on this staff in the past and has put hard work into making this paper great. Make us proud. Finally, be who you are. Do not be afraid to share your ideas. Trust me, there are no dumb ideas, especially when you have twenty pages of blank newsprint to fill.

    I can guarantee you that plenty of us will be back in to visit. I hope you have something amazing to show us when we do.

    With all that said, I feel really upset saying goodbye to a class that has really taught me who I am. Nan, you will never know how much you have taught me. You made high school bearable and I am extremely grateful for everything I have learned. You are a true role model.

    To the staff of 2008-2009, you guys are awesome. You have all been there for me so much. Thank you. To all my fellow seniors, let’s all go do amazing things, but never forget journalism and the friendships we have made. I am going to miss you all so much. I love you guys and I’ll see you out there in the “real world.”


I love my fellow staffers! I cannot believe this is the end. You guys are all amazing!! So, Benson, Kya, Taylor, Arielle, Trevor, Angeline, Kaice, Shelby A., Shelby N., Aimee, Karina, Caitlin, Ben, Drake, Natalie, Ali, Garth, Barbara, and Nan...you are all outstanding people, journalists, and friends! <3








1 comment:

Taylor said...

Aww. Journalism :/